Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Coulter Children...

The Coulter children came to The Masonic Home after their father, Hal, a Mason in good standing, died of tuberculosis and their mother, Lodie Bell, couldn't support the children. Ray, at left, was put in Dorm Two, separate from his younger brother, Dewitt, who was put into Dorm One with younger boys. The two older sisters, L.E. and Ima, at top and right, went into the girls' area. Boys and girls were separated and mingling of the sexes then was taboo. The initial adjustment was hard on children and that first night Dewitt remembered crying.

Melissa Coulter Ballas, youngest daughter of Ray and niece of Dewitt, has two young sons - Luke, 17 months, and Colt, 4, who are just a few years younger than Dewitt and Ray were when they came to The Home. "My husband and I joke that our boys will be just about the right age to play Ray and Dewitt as little ones entering the orphanage," she writes, "I am really enjoying reminiscing!"

She has discovered the story beyond the book and she writes "I am SO excited that this movie is going to happen! Reading the book was so therapeutic (and a bit overwhelming!). I loved reading certain parts and thinking Hey! Daddy told me about that! or I remember hearing about that game!"

Melissa sent this family photo of the four Coulter children, taken prior to their father's death and she shared her memories:

All four kids came to the home when my father was 5. That would make Ima 7 or 8, L.E. 9 or 10, and Tex 3. One memory that was huge (and heartbreaking) for my father was Dewitt crying and saying “I want to stay with YOU Ray!” when my dad had to go to school during the day. How devastating for ALL of them but for a little 3 year old without his mommy…so sad!

The boys and girls were separated except for Sundays and that was hard on them all, especially the boys! Someone told Jim Dent that my grandmother had at least one other child besides these four (it was in the book). My sisters and I don’t think that is accurate. We NEVER heard of any other aunts or uncles that we have. Ima definitely would have known! They continued to visit their mother holidays and summers in the Tyler area. ...Ima was one incredible lady! I know she had a lot of friends from the Masonic Home.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home