Thursday, March 17, 2011

Heel or Hero? Half an Inch Can Make the Difference...

Rusty Russell's philosophy of coaching can be gleaned from Channel 8 interview conducted in Dallas in his retirement years when he and Nita enjoyed watching football games from the comfort of their home. He was 86 at the time of the interview.

"Half an inch one way or the other can make a heel or a hero out of you," he often said to his kids in teaching them the importance of doing your best.

"I worked 24 hours a day if necessary...to prepare a team to win a ball game. I wanted to do everything possible, of course I made a lot of mistakes. If it didn't turn out right I didn't lose any sleep, I sat down and ate a good meal and went to sleep and I believe in that. I tell my kids and I always have, you give your best, you give your all out there and when you do that, you don't have to apologize to anybody. That's my ticket."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home